Suzuki DF 300 stalling after shutdown

Horsedocs

Recruit
I have a 34 ft Sea Vee with a pair of 2007 Suzuki 300s. After I run the boat and then shut it down for a while the starboard motor starts fine and then stalls when I go to put the boat up on plane after that, it will not start until I squeeze the primer bulb several times, than it runs fine. I only have this problem if I shut the motor down for a while and then restart it.

My local dealer (West Palm Beach) is a part swapper and a poor diagnostician. So far he has replaced the primer bulb, the lift pump, and has recently done 200 hr service on the engines, all to no avail. Any ideas or does anyone know who I should call in my area? This is getting very frustrating. For me, this is a problem of air getting into the fuel system somewhere.

mackle

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DF 300 stalling after shutdown

Help! I have the exact same problem with a 2008 DF115. Start it cold, and it'll run all day. Stop to fish for 30 minutes, restart, and it'll run about 300 yards and die. Strong exhaust/fuel smell each time it happens. Just pump the primer bulb and it starts right up and goes on til the next time I stop for 20 or 30 minutes. This has been a problem for 2 or 3 years now, and it seems to be getting worse.
I've changed the primer bulb, the gas cap, all the fuel lines on the engine, the low pressure filter, and added a fuel/water separator... no help. I usually run regular gas with a fuel additive.
Yesterday I unhooked the main fuel tank, and ran with a 3 gallon axillary tank hooked directly to the water separator. It didn't stall at all until the 3 gallon tank ran dry... then I hooked back to the main tank, pumped the bulb, fired it up and ran fine for about 300 yards and died. Same old problem.
Today my plan was to replace the fuel line that runs from console (main tank) to the water separator. But after looking at it today, I can't believe that is the problem. It's really heavy duty hose.
I'm stumped.
Anyone have an idea what to do next?
thanks,
Mackle - North Carolina

Horsedocs

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DF 300 stalling after shutdown

Help! I have the exact same problem with a 2008 DF115. Start it cold, and it'll run all day. Stop to fish for 30 minutes, restart, and it'll run about 300 yards and die. Strong exhaust/fuel smell each time it happens. Just pump the primer bulb and it starts right up and goes on til the next time I stop for 20 or 30 minutes. This has been a problem for 2 or 3 years now, and it seems to be getting worse.
I've changed the primer bulb, the gas cap, all the fuel lines on the engine, the low pressure filter, and added a fuel/water separator... no help. I usually run regular gas with a fuel additive.
Yesterday I unhooked the main fuel tank, and ran with a 3 gallon axillary tank hooked directly to the water separator. It didn't stall at all until the 3 gallon tank ran dry... then I hooked back to the main tank, pumped the bulb, fired it up and ran fine for about 300 yards and died. Same old problem.
Today my plan was to replace the fuel line that runs from console (main tank) to the water separator. But after looking at it today, I can't believe that is the problem. It's really heavy duty hose.
I'm stumped.
Anyone have an idea what to do next?
thanks,
Mackle - North Carolina

I finally found a mechanic who knew what he was doing and fixed the problem. I don't know if it will relate to your motor but here is what he found:

Apparently, there is a solenoid valve on the high pressure tank that closes when the engine is shut down. This prevents fuel from siphoning back to the tank. After having my last guy (a suzuki dealer) part swap his way unsuccessfully through the problem, this guy found that the solenoid valve was not closing when power was cut to the engine. In 30 minutes he found and fixed the problem and that has been the end of it. If you have such a valve on your motor, I would test it by watching it while someone turns power off and on to the motor. Hope this helps.