99 Yamaha 200 2-cycle outboard help

krknieriem

Cadet
I was out earlier today and forgot to look at my oil level and I ran out and my buzzer went off so I immediately shut the engine down. I filled up the oil reservoir but the engine would not let me go over 2000 rpm before sounding the buzzer. I proceeded to put in at 1500 rpm but every so often the buzzer would go off and I would have to let it sit for minute before starting back up. Does anyone know if there is a reset button somewhere?

krknieriem

Cadet
Re: 99 Yamaha 200 2-cycle outboard help

I was out earlier today and forgot to look at my oil level and I ran out and my buzzer went off so I immediately shut the engine down. I filled up the oil reservoir but the engine would not let me go over 2000 rpm before sounding the buzzer. I proceeded to put in at 1500 rpm but every so often the buzzer would go off and I would have to let it sit for minute before starting back up. Does anyone know if there is a reset button somewhere?

When the buzzer sounds it is for low oil even though I filled up reservoir

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you ran it dry you need to bleed the oil injection. You have air in the lines and the oil injection knows.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yamaha only alarms on level in tank mounted on motor, not flow like Suzuki.

What tank ran empty?
Tank on motor should alarm before going empty

Capt Ken

Commander

If the remote tank got low, then it will quit transferring to the engine tank. Even though you may have filled the boat tank, you may still need to use the manual fill toggle on the engine to refill the engine tank. It will not restart the pumping process once the alarm signals.

krknieriem

Cadet

If you ran it dry you need to bleed the oil injection. You have air in the lines and the oil injection knows.

I looked under the hood today and there was plenty of oil in the engine reservoir

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may still have air in the system. Is the main oil tank under the hood or under the cowling?

krknieriem

Cadet

You may still have air in the system. Is the main oil tank under the hood or under the cowling?

under the cowling, I did however find a white wire that was disconnected when I removed the cowling so I reattached it to its connection but I want to find a wiring diagram to determine what it was for

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's my understanding running it dry is like a diesel. If air is hiding in there somewhere it will keep it from flowing. Do you have a primer bulb on the oil line? If it's like the VRO on my Evinrude you will have a bleed valve on the oil injection unit.

krknieriem

Cadet

It's my understanding running it dry is like a diesel. If air is hiding in there somewhere it will keep it from flowing. Do you have a primer bulb on the oil line? If it's like the VRO on my Evinrude you will have a bleed valve on the oil injection unit.

From what I have read and verified from looking under the cowling is that the alarm started going off when the main tank under the cowling got down to 1/3 full. I think Im going to need to pull the secondary tank and see if the filter is clogged

Capt Ken

Commander

Please speed-demon, if you are not familiar with the Yamaha oiling system, you might want to refrain from suggestions that will mislead an owner. The two systems are in no way alike.
The only thing that will sound an oil alarm on the Yamaha is the float on the engine tank. There is no flow alarms and no need to bleed the system. Unless his warning light is coming on in his gauge that says its an oil alarm, then it's more than likely not an oil alarm. The oil alarm will not act as described and in most probabilities, he is overheating.

krknieriem

Cadet

Please speed-demon, if you are not familiar with the Yamaha oiling system, you might want to refrain from suggestions that will mislead an owner. The two systems are in no way alike.
The only thing that will sound an oil alarm on the Yamaha is the float on the engine tank. There is no flow alarms and no need to bleed the system. Unless his warning light is coming on in his gauge that says its an oil alarm, then it's more than likely not an oil alarm. The oil alarm will not act as described and in most probabilities, he is overheating.

So you think this is a water pump issue?

krknieriem

Cadet

It was the oil alarm that was going off

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If oil alarm is going off and the oil level is not low then you need to look for bad wiring, switch, or module would be my thoughts

krknieriem

Cadet

If oil alarm is going off and the oil level is not low then you need to look for bad wiring, switch, or module would be my thoughts

The oil level is at bottom 3rd line in the main tank even after I filled secondary reservoir, thats why I was thinking oil filter. The main tank is not being refilled

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I looked under the hood today and there was plenty of oil in the engine reservoir

So what does this mean then?

also there is a remote tank and the one on the motor.
I do not think it is called the main tank though

krknieriem

Cadet

So what does this mean then?

There are 2 oil tanks, there is the main oil tank on the engine then there is secondary reservoir where it is pumped from, I ran out of oil in the secondary reservoir and even after I filled it back up the alarm continued. Itlooks as though oil is not being pumped from the secondary reservoir

Capt Ken

Commander

You have to use the manual switch to start the pumping process. It will not pump if the red light is flashing and alarm sounding. Once the level in the tank starts rising, it will start pumping in the auto mode. But you must have more than 1/3 oil in the boat tank. The auto system shuts down at the 1/3 full mark.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

So you say there was plenty of oil in the tank on the motor and then you say

The oil level is at bottom 3rd line in the main tank even after I filled secondary reservoir, thats why I was thinking oil filter. The main tank is not being refilled

sounds like this is saying the opposite of each other