Fuel Lines - Troubleshooting Saga Suzuki DT200

chackett

Seaman
Hey All ..

Sorry for the novel here .. but maybe my story will help someone.

My dad bought a 21' Wellcraft CC with a Suzuki DT200 on it about 8 or 9 years ago when he lived here in Atlanta. We used it a lot on Lanier, and it was a solid, good rig. Really enjoyed it.

He moved to Bluffton South Carolina about 6 years ago, and we thought it would be fun to have the boat there, so off it went to SC. For a couple years it was fun. But for various reasons, the boat got less and less use, and eventually the motor started acting up .. and my dad didn't have the time, the knowledge, or the money to have repairs made, so it sat for about 2 or three years.

People kept telling him (various family members, maybe even a mechanic or two), that he was having water in the fuel problems. The symptom was that you could prime the bulb and get the motor to turn over and run for about 3 - 12 seconds, and then it would die. Prime, start, run for 8 seconds, die. Over and over. I couldn't really trouble shoot the thing because it was 300 miles away. So answering questions like "is the primber bulb hard or collapsed?" were impossible for me to answer. They did a good bit of stuff to the boat to solve the problem like put new plugs, new filters, new water separator, drain the tank, add ethanol / water fuel conditioners, etc, but could never solve the problem.

Over this past spring break I brought a trailer down, picked up the rig and dragged it back up to Atlanta. Time to get serious about figuring out what's up.

First thing I do is get an external tank, new primer bulb, fresh gas and a can of seafoam to do the carb cleaning bit. I hook everything up, attach the muffs, and turn it over. Same story .. crank, run for a few seconds, die. I take a couple cracks at this, but after about 15 minutes, I'm thinking there's something else wrong .. not gummed up carbs. Somehow, along the way, I figure out that if I will quickly start priming while it's running, the engine will continue running at least twice as long than when I don't prime. Hrmm .. now I'm thinking fuel pump or something.

But I'm losing daylight and I need to get the rig back to the storage yard before it's dark. As I tilt the motor up, gas starts coming out of the cowling. What?!??! Where heck did all that gas come from (and thank God it didn't explode)?!?

Of course I take off the cowling and look around. There's about 1" of gas pooled in the bottom half of the case / cowling. I sure did a lot of priming, so I figure that must have had something to do with it. With the cover off, I gently squeeze the primber bulb and look around for gas .. after a couple minutes of searching, sure enough, I see a ruptured fuel line .. very well hidden up under the bottom of the motor.

What was happening is that enough fuel was 'squirting' across the gap that it would keep the engine sputtering for a couple seconds, before it would just get starved for gas. By squeezing the primer bulb, it would 'shoot' enough gas through the air across to the engine side of the break in the gas line that it would keep the engine running a little longer.

First. I am seriously lucky there wasn't any kind of spark or static or anything under the cowling or it would absolutely have exploded. Lesson - don't work on an engine without taking the cowling off. Squeezing that primer bulb that much .. I should have been sure I knew where all that gas I was pumping was going.

Second .. I know the right thing to do would be to order a new fuel pump and replace all the fuel lines, but 1 .. I about tapped out for money on this project and 2 .. I don't think there's anything wrong with the fuel pump. My question is what are folks using to replace the fuel lines .. not the line from the tank to the bulb, or from the bulb to the motor .. but the lines inside the cowling? I haven't pull the faulty line yet, but from what it looks like, it's a standard lookng gas line .. like you might see on a weed eater or other gas engine. What are the recommendations for gas line replacement?

Thanks All,
Chris

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel Lines - Troubleshooting Saga Suzuki DT200

all parts on motor should be on a parts breakdown of the motor and available from Suzuki,
maybe that was the problem some one put the wrong line on.
I prefer to stick to the parts the manufacture recommends and sells

chackett

Seaman

Thanks 99yam40,

I'm definitely open to suggestions. This is probably about a 1998 Suzuki DT200. I'll confirm over the weekend when I can work on the motor, but I believe the part is item #19 or #21 on page 26 (D2 / D3) on these diagrams:

http://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/pdf/DT200(87-97).pdf

I'll admit I'm kinda new to this working on an old outboard, but that seems like an awfully small part to have to order from someone. Would anyone even still manufacture this? If anyone has a suggestion or can point me to a supplier, I'm all ears.

Hopefully I'm WAYYYY off base when I stumble across something like this:

Suzuki Outboard Fuel Hose - Browns Point Marine Service, LLC

$220 for a fuel hose?

Thanks,
Chris

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

Instead of relying on the internet and mail order, try visiting a local Suzuki dealer. Those hoses are available. If they do not have it they can put it on their next stock order, and they can explain what lengths the hoses come in and what you will need.

The Suzuki primer bulb/fuel hose assemblies are very expensive due to ethanol and federal EPA hose regulations. We make our own, but you really need "stepless" hose clamps to make them properly.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

find the part # needed at browns point, need your serial # to make sure on proper year

Have no idea about Suzuki but Yamaha uses molded/shaped lines on motor so that kinks do not happen making the bends

chackett

Seaman

Thanks 99yam49, I appreciate the helpful reply. Above, I grossly mis-typed that I thought it was about a 97. In reality it is probably closer to a 87 or 88.

I am definitely no expert, but it looks to me like the gas and oil lines are wrapped in a spiral plastic sheath that prevents kinks and generally protects the lines.

I will dig in and try to pull and positively identify the specific part number with the Browns Point docs.

Oh...my serial number is 20001-605792

Thanks,
Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If this is not a pre-formed hose or if the hose doesn't make any sharp bends that would require a pre-formed hose, you can buy fuel line in any diameter by the foot at nearly any auto store.

chackett

Seaman

Silvertip, thanks so much for this reply, that was very helpful. I didn't know there were pre-formed hoses that were specially made for specific runs that might otherwise get kinked or something.

I was able to remove the oil reservoir and get at the hose. It was just a regular looking flexible hose with friction / standard fittings with the squeezable clips on each end. Quick trip to the auto parts store (bought two, one to install, one to keep as spare), and installed with no trouble.

Engine running strong now. I'll drop it in the water this weekend and see how things go.

Thanks for the help and advice all. I appreciate it.

Chris

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It is a 1986

Good to hear it is running, keep a watch on the line you replaced.
From what I have seen it is hard to find metric line, and I am sure that is what that Suzuki had

chackett

Seaman

Thanks 99 yam40, it's great to know what year it is, I appreciate you finding that / letting me know.

I mentioned earlier that I didn't know exactly where the line was and gave a guess earlier. Now that I've replaced it, I have a better idea. It's hard to tell from the parts diagram, since I can't really see the whole engine assembled in the diagrams, but I believe it's a line that runs from the "Valve Starter (Figure 7 here ). The hose I replaced runs from the nipple you see in the lower left to what I believe is the bottom of a lower carb.

Here's a picture of the broken line: broken line here

Thanks for yall's help .. I sincerely appreciate it.

Chris

chackett

Seaman

The saga continues.

As I mentioned, I replaced the broken fuel line and expected everything to be peachy. I dropped the boat into the water and turned it over. Never really did idle properly for more than a minute or so, eventually sputtering and "sneezing" to death. And seriously, "sneezing" is really the most accurate description.

I replaced the plugs and got a higher octane gas (someone somewhere recommended that for this engine .. I don't know if that's accurate and tend to doubt it, but gave it a shot anyway).

Definitely idled better for a while. I idled for maybe 10 minutes on the boat ramp with a great, strong, clean, excellent sounding idle. However whenever I would give a little throttle it would bog down and die.

So I decided to pull the carbs. Zoiks. They were absolutely filthy. I sprayed, scrubbed, sprayed, cleaned, scrubbed and scrubbed until they came clean. They were spotless. Here are a bunch of pictures I took to help me know how to re-assemble the carbs onto the motor. You can see how filthy they were.

There's another thread here somewhere where a fellow talks about cleaning the teeny little holds in the throat of the carbs. I assume these holes are where the fuel is drawn into the airstream. Anyway, I cleaned them all up good, but in the process, found there are two missing pieces.

This thread describes the piece I am missing as a "flame retarder" or "air cover". I tried searching the on-line assembly diagrams for a part or part number, but I can't fond one. I also attached two photos to this post to show the piece that's missing. Is anyone else familiar with this part or piece, where I can get one, or what are some acceptable alternatives?

Thanks,
Chris
image007.jpgimage008.jpg

P.S. - Higher resolution versions of the attachment are available in the link above.
PSS - Figure 6 on page B10 here, shows a screw in this location not a plate, like is on my carb.

jnr1234

Cadet

You need to soak those carbs in carb cleaner while you have them apart. This will clean out the passages. Blow them out with your air hose before you put back together.

chackett

Seaman

Thanks Jnr, I think you're right. I'll pick up a kit tomorrow. Are there recommendations on what to soak in? My neighbor said there are kits at auto parts stores...

Thanks!

chackett

Seaman

Ok .. update to my thread here.

I cleaned the carbs twice more before I put them back on. Blew them with compressed air a bunch, and felt they were pretty spotless.

Put the cleaned carbs back on this past Saturday and she cranked right up. Ran strong and smooth with no issues at all. Well, I guess the idle could be a touch higher, but for now I'm really pleased at the results. I did turn the idle adjustment, but I think it needs to be a tad higher.

But now my steering is really pretty stiff, and I think I need to replace the steering cable and helm unit. Fortunately the teleflex seem reasonable.

However my new problem is that I can't seem to be able to get the old steering cable out. There's not enough clearance between the tilt tube and the side wall of the splashwell. I tried to remove it Sunday, armed with my shotgun bore cleaning brush, but just couldn't get the cable removed. It's not seized, I there's just no room.

So I guess I'm going to have to lift the motor? Uggg .. that might be out of my abilities. I don't have an engine lift. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

you got a tree in the yard with a limb you can hook a come along onto?

chackett

Seaman

Unfortunately no .. none that are accessible anyway. Ideas for now are 1) Neighbor has a flooring business and may have a forklift I can use. or 2) finding a local marine shop that will let me use their lift for a fee .. 3) find a local fellow with a bobcat to lift it.

Between now and when I figure out what I'm doing, I'll educate myself on all things teleflex cable steering systems :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Most auto stores rent motor lifts for pulling car motors

chackett

Seaman

Thanks 99yam40. I will visit my local shops and see what they have. Most of the auto engine lifts I have seen look far too short to be able to lift the outboard. Between the height of the trailer plus the boat to the transom, I would say the top of the motor is nearly 6 feet off the ground.

I will stop in and see what's what.

Thanks 99yam40
Chris

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

slide the boat off the trailer

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You can build a aframe and use a come along