Yamaha 40 hp outboard knocking/rattling while in gear *Video*

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Yamaha 40 hp outboard knocking/rattling while in gear *Video*

Does it happen in neutral?
Remove the prop shaft and see if it has much play by wriggling it left to right, up and down
Also empty the gearbox fluid, strain it through a cloth and look for metal fragments,
Possible clutch dog failure id say

kutu62

Recruit

Does it happen in neutral?
Remove the prop shaft and see if it has much play by wriggling it left to right, up and down
Also empty the gearbox fluid, strain it through a cloth and look for metal fragments,
Possible clutch dog failure id say

doesn't happen in neutral, only while in gear.. doesn't make any rattle when I open it up. can't hear the rattle when it's in the water either..

will check everything you mentioned, thanks!

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sound like the shift adjustment is off

kutu62

Recruit

Sound like the shift adjustment is off

I've SEARCH FOR "how to turn on shift adjustment" (and similar) and can't find any answers.. Anyone know of a resource for doing linkage adjustments and "turn shift adjustment on"?? If I could get pointed in the right direction it would be appreciated. Thanks

also - gearbox oil looks good, not a lot of metal shavings on bolt magnet.. no worse than an old motor cycle. Will replace anyways.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Where the throttle/gear cable enters the engine there is normally a little wheel you can turn to adjust the gear shift linkage.
Post a photo if you still cant find it