Suzuki DT40 Kill Switch Help

Arsytee

Seaman Apprentice
Hi

I have a 1970's DT40. It is recoil start with a dead mans switch (DMS) in the body and a kill switch on the end of the tiller. With the engine running, you push the switch on the tiller to stop the engine. With the dead mans switch, you pull the cap off and then the engine stops. However, the cap is missing from the dead mans switch. To rectify this I have permanently pushed the button on the DMS in so I can start and run the engine.

I have just bought some controls for the engine. These has a DMS switch built in. I have wired this switch to the engine and removed the switch that was in the engine. However now the engine runs with the cap off this switch and cuts out when the pin is pushed in. I have circuit tested the switch and it definitely is breaks the circuit when the cap is pulled off and is made with it on.

I have attached a picture of the old switch, (the cap I have made and attached with a cable tie to allow me to start the engine). I have also attached a picture of the new switch.New Switch.jpgold switch.jpg

Anyone any ideas please for a novice.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Suzuki DT40 Kill Switch Help

You want a switch that grounds the engine when its pulled off (grounds the ignition to ground) instead of that one which keeps the connection open when its pulled off. The engine can only run when its not connected to ground
Try seeing if your old deadman grounds when its pulled and its openwhen connected, id say it will be

Arsytee

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Suzuki DT40 Kill Switch Help

Thanks Bosunsmate. I will give it a go.