Yamaha 40HP 4-stroke high idle when trying to shift to neutral?

Mugsmugs

Recruit
I was reading a forum where someone spoke about an ISC valve sticking and was hoping you could direct me with a problem I am having. At the end of last year, I had a few instances when I brought the throttle back to and shifting to neutral was difficult because the rpms were quite high. The problem came and went, but I wanted to try to diagnose and correct this before I put my boat in the water this year.

What I found when looking at it (not very familiar with any of this, so bare with me). When I brought the throttle back to neutral postion, all of the linkage parts in the tree on the side of the motor seemed to be working properly, but at the very bottom there is a small bulb where the bottom linkage rod goes in. This has a very small movement seemingly after the throttle has returned to the idle position. I think some simple lubrication might do the trick so I was thinking of just putting some silicone grease on that little rod that goes into the bulb. If someone could let me know what they think and maybe provide me with a little guidance on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jim

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Yamaha 40HP 4-stroke high idle when trying to shift to neutral?

yep pop it off and grease it