2005 Yamaha F25MSHD Enigne Cutting Out Problem

RBC Cap'n

Recruit
I have a 2005 Yamaha F25MSHD (25 hp manual start) tiller outboard that typically starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and runs well but recently I have had issues with it wanting to cut out and die. Yesterday I was idling slowly up river in a no wake zone and it started to sputter...turned up the throttle and it died. Started again but took three or four pulls, went a hundred yards and it sputterd again - eventually back-fired or missed and shut down. Could not get it restarted. Pulled the plugs (which were brand new) and they looked fine. Engine was getting fuel to the best I could tell. When to restart the engine and it started on 2nd pull. Let it idle for 10 mins without issue so started back up river and soon it sputtered again. At that point I lifted the tiller hand at a 45 deg angle and it ran fine the rest of the day.

I did return the tiller handle back to the down position a few times and only had it sputtered once. Leading me to wonder if the kill switch is over-stretched or shorting with the tiller in the down position. Does this make sense? Nothing looks out of the ordinary with the wiring...potentially faulty kill switch? Thanks in advance for any help / input. Anyone have any issues with kill switches in the past??

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 2005 Yamaha F25MSHD Enigne Cutting Out Problem

cut the kill switch in the engine and see if that fixes it. Then you know what to check on.
Just realise you will need to choke it or pull the hose to stop it