2002 Yamaha 115 Two Stroke Question

seapickle

Recruit
Issue: Hard to start for first time. Motor runs perfectly fine. Will start first crank the rest of the day. pulling the manual choke helps to start the motor the first time.

Possible solutions:
1) Gaskets of air box in the front of the carbs can become distorted and prevent choke plates from closing
2) Choke linkage may not close choke plates all the way.

Can anyone direct me on where to start to look into the issue? Or have a similar motor that can take some pictures and post them on here?
The boat is new to me and i have not had much time to mess with it yet.
Thanks

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Yamaha 115 Two Stroke Question

Mine has always been that way. 2 stroke carb'd 2001 150
I considered it be a characteristic of carb'd engines, especially when the water is still cold.
The first start of the weekend is always a little tough.
My routine for starting the engine after a long sit (a week or longer)
1. Pump the bulb til firm
2. Engage the choke and crank the engine until it starts.
3. Continue to bump the choke when the engine sounds like it is about to die.
After about 20 seconds of my assistance with the choke it idles on its own and I'm good to go.
Similar to your expierence, after the intial start every start after that is quick. No choke needed, just a turn of the key. Cranks in 2 seconds even after sitting all night.
Someone may tell you different and perhaps they know more than I, but your issue seems like normal 2-stroke behavior to me.

craigwill

Cadet
Re: 2002 Yamaha 115 Two Stroke Question

Mine has always been that way. 2 stroke carb'd 2001 150
I considered it be a characteristic of carb'd engines, especially when the water is still cold.
The first start of the weekend is always a little tough.
My routine for starting the engine after a long sit (a week or longer)
1. Pump the bulb til firm
2. Engage the choke and crank the engine until it starts.
3. Continue to bump the choke when the engine sounds like it is about to die.
After about 20 seconds of my assistance with the choke it idles on its own and I'm good to go.
Similar to your expierence, after the intial start every start after that is quick. No choke needed, just a turn of the key. Cranks in 2 seconds even after sitting all night.
Someone may tell you different and perhaps they know more than I, but your issue seems like normal 2-stroke behavior to me.[/
QUOTE]

I second that explanation.
Craig