Can I use old Yamaha with 3 stripped powerhead bolts & 3 good ones?

ukharper

Cadet
...so a so called expert/dealer told me they needed to remove the powerhead to fix the gear shift, broke the heads off 3 bolts, leaving 3 left, powerhead was still stuck solid to leg with all good bolts out though....
I actually found the jamming lever was caused by the link to the flywheel lock was detached from the casing & lodged in the bottom of the cowl, no need to mess with the powerhead.
If I try to use this engine with only 3 bolts in good nick will I have it come apart on me?
I will of course be having words with the mechanic tomorrow...

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Can I use old Yamaha with 3 stripped powerhead bolts & 3 good ones?

Not to be a wise guy here, but would you feel confident driving your car if your wheels used 6 lugs to hold them on, and one of them was missing 3?

IMHO, should be fixed.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have to agree with RogersJetboat454. I personally would take it down and remove the broken bolts and retap all the threads and make sure it was reassembly back correctly for MY piece of mind... You could run it for a day, a week, or forever maybe, but I would always feel unsure of it coming apart at the worst time imaginable and causing huge problems, injury or worst... They engineered it with six bolts so there was a reason... JMHO!

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What size motor is this? The main reason I ask is it won't be too bad to get to a machine shop to properly drill and tap the powerhead if it is a small motor. I too would not run it on three of 6 bolts, seems like the load is not going to be distributed properly. I'd be worried about something coming loose and causing additional damage or injury.

Houseboat er

Cadet

Not o good idea to use with only three bolts intact get them fixed