suzuki dt60 battery charging

sparkey0151

Recruit
Hi all, i am new to boats so if you could bear with me, my problem is i want to take a wire from the outboard to charge my battery, i have the maintainance manual and think i take a wire from the white wire from the rectifier? to the possitive conection on the battery if any one could explain in a step by step way would be great, thanks in advance.

kind regards john:confused:

mygrady

Seaman
Re: suzuki dt60 battery charging

Sorry but I do not understand what you are trying to do. Are trying to just charge the battery? Why would you use a wire from the motor to do this. Or is your motor not charging the battery when running.

sparkey0151

Recruit

Hi mygrady and thanks for your reply, as i understand it is just a trickle charge from the rectifier on the outboard to the battery,

kind regards john:joyous:

mygrady

Seaman

If your starting battery has drained down, how would you charge it now? A lot of chargers have a maintenance setting that is about .3 amp.
How are you getting a charge from your rectifier without the motor running.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your engine has a relatively low output charging system but what you have is what you have. The battery charges through the large Positive battery cable. Adding another wire does nothing. Someone is giving you bum info or you are reading things you don't fully understand. If the battery is going flat you need to verify the charging system is actually working. A voltmeter (either the one on the console or a hand held VOM) will tell you that. If the charging system is working you should charge the battery with a plug-in charger, then take it to any auto store to have it load tested.

sparkey0151

Recruit

thank all, i am obviousley getting the info wrong,

regards john:joyous: