Speedometer stopped working. Yamaha VMAX 150 2 stoke carb'd. Where to start looking?

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My speedometer has stopped working. I noticed it just barely reading earlier this month and on my last time out it stopped working completely. My question is where to start looking? My feeling is that it is clogged somehwere, but I am unsure where the intake is. I looked at the lower unit briefly, but did not see an obvious intake for this purpose.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Speedometer stopped working. Yamaha VMAX 150 2 stoke carb'd. Where to start looki

Leading edge of the lower unit just a few inches below the cavitation plate.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Speedometer stopped working. Yamaha VMAX 150 2 stoke carb'd. Where to start looki

Thanks. Once I locate it is it ok to run some wire through there to loosen and debris that may be causing the issue?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Yes it is most likely plugged. I had that happen so many times and lots of time it would be stuck at the speed I was going when it plugged as well. It will work, as good as these type speed tubes can be expected, once you clear the plug from the pickup area on the leading edge of the lower motor housing. It is not that accurate but merely a roundabout indication of speed. Too many things can change its accuracy...