2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke - Oil Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWOOO

Cadet
2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke.

After running for extended periods, I get a frothy/foamy/milkshake-like oil appearing.

First I noticed it inside the lower cowling, and then one time it came down the connection area between the upper/lower end.

I spoke to an aquaintence.......he said he has a 90hp Yami of the same era that had a similar leak and it was diagnosed as the Oil Pan Gasket. Not sure here.

Any guesses?

Thanks

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 2

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke - Oil Leak

Your dipstick is not leaking is it? It will blow oil out if not tight. Otherwise you need to clean it up and run it till you can see just where it is blowing out.

NWOOO

Cadet

My recollection was no oil coming out of the dipstick (although I'll check to see that it seats right). I also changed the oil filter in case it was faulty, and I torked the bolts for the oil pan......and yet the oil leak still occurred.

We have cleaned it up and ran it.......and it is very difficult to finger where the leak is coming from. It's absolutely frustrating for sure. There is no oil dripping down the sides of the head, so I figure it's something lower.......like the pan gasket. Somewhere in the area anyway.

Capt Ken

Commander

Something you might try. Remove the crankcase vent and pressurize it with a couple of PSI. You will have to keep the air going to it being it will blow back past the rings. But then spray around the bottom of the block with soapy water and see where the bubbles are. Just don't put to0 much air to it or you could blow a seal.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Does the oil level and color look OK?

NWOOO

Cadet

Does the oil level and color look OK?

Yes, I had a few people tell me to check.....and the level/color was good. Oil was not overfilled and no traces of water or discoloration.

NWOOO

Cadet

Something you might try. Remove the crankcase vent and pressurize it with a couple of PSI. You will have to keep the air going to it being it will blow back past the rings. But then spray around the bottom of the block with soapy water and see where the bubbles are. Just don't put to0 much air to it or you could blow a seal.

I'm certainly no mechanic, but when I go to the dealership in the next few weeks with the motor, I want to be semi-educated and armed with ideas.

So, thanks for that, I'll pass that info on to the technician and see if he has the same approach.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

were ever it is leaking it is mixing with water also, and I am not sure what to think about the frothy part.

Are you sure this is not spilled oil from oil and filter change hanging around in cowling that is getting mixed with moisture/water and then running down the motor

NWOOO

Cadet

were ever it is leaking it is mixing with water also, and I am not sure what to think about the frothy part.

Are you sure this is not spilled oil from oil and filter change hanging around in cowling that is getting mixed with moisture/water and then running down the motor

No....this is "leak" oil.

I change the oil once at the beginning of the season....no spills. And, after every incident of oil leak (the froth) we clean it up so that we can attempt to get an idea of where it's coming from.

So, it's definitely making it's way to the lower cowel from the inside of the motor....not from spills or anything like it.

The oil only seems to appear on days of long running. You'd never see it from just a quick zip out on the water. But hours of hard running and it appears. My guess would be something is heating up and allowing a bit of oil to squeeze out.....like a gasket. (and water pump is working fine)

Olev

Recruit
Hi Guys, I have exact same problem.
Oil pump gasket & oilpan gasket has been changed, and it did not help to stop the leak. May be mechanic made some mistakes. What else can be?

Attachments

• 20211031_120534.jpg
    20211031_120534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211031_121007.jpg
    20211031_121007.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.