HELP! Yamaha 30 hp stalling!

I have a 1989 yamaha 30 hp tiller. took it out today, and it started right up. ran it in forward and reverse without problems for about 15 minutes. than i stopped down to a coast, and the motor died. i went to start it back up, and the motor would start but would die almost within seconds in neutral. i sat there for about 5 minutes, than started it up and went quickly into forward and it worked. seemed kinda bogged down though. noticed when I got back that my oil was pretty stinking low. the motor had been sitting over a month, so are the carbs clogged???

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: HELP! Yamaha 30 hp stalling!

Check your alarm system to make sure it works, maybe it does not have one being a tiller model.

If you think it was low on oil or overheated and damaged the motor then check compression to start out with.
then look at the carbs and fuel pump

Check your alarm system to make sure it works, maybe it does not have one being a tiller model.

If you think it was low on oil or overheated and damaged the motor then check compression to start out with.
then look at the carbs and fuel pump

Yeah I'm gonna clean out the carbs. It was weird cause it started right up and ran strong for 15 minutes, than just wouldnt stay on in neutral. I'll clean out the carbs, and check on the fuel. I'll also refill the oil. Its prolly the carb. It sat for a month and didnt start it at all.

well I started it up today, and it cranked right up and the idle seemed high. but after about 15 seconds the motor stalled. it also would stall instantly when i put it in the closed position on the tiller handle/ ??????