2002 Yamaha 40hp has no power

leedavenport

Recruit
I have a 2002 Yamaha 40hp that seems to be fuel starved. Last summer a had it service with new filters, water pump impeller and lower unit seals replaced. I put about two hours on it right after picking it up from the shop and it ran strong before putting it away. It sat, covered, until January when I decided to pull it out for a day of fishing. The motor fired right up and seemed to idle fine. However when a gave it the gas, it wouldn't go. At full throttle it seemed to act like I was dragging an anchor. No RPM's. When backing off the throttle about half way, it would surge. I had added the recommended amount of Stabil to the tank prior to letting it sit through the fall and early winter. Like I said before, it had just had the filters and fuel/water separator replaced about 6 months prior to this outing with less than 2 hours of runtime post servicing. Could it still be the filters causing this issue or maybe something else? Is it something I, a non marine engine technician, can fix?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2002 Yamaha 40hp has no power

fuel pump maybe or trash/water in carbs or plug or plug wire

testing things would be best to see if it is a spark issue or fuel