help required on shift shaft Suzuki DF70

gaelforce

Recruit
Hi there,

I am trying to refit the shift stick into the gearbox of a 98 DF70. The shop manual refers to a ball, spring and plate but I don't remember seeing any spring or plate when I took it out.

I cannot see how to get the detent ball into the shift cam channel at the same time. Clymer's says "Remove and re-install the shift shaft and/or detent ball as needed" but do you put the ball in first? How then does it sit in the notch?

Any help appreciatedIMAG0064.jpg

gaelforce

Recruit
Re: help required on shift shaft Suzuki DF70

should mention that there is a (barely) retractable pin opposite the detent ball spring. If this was recessed the shaft would go down.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: help required on shift shaft Suzuki DF70

You did not properly follow the dissasembly procedure - you have to remove bearing carrier & propshaft, and if you have dislodged the check ball, spring & plate, you may have to remove the pinion gear, driveshaft and forward gear & bearing to get them back in.

Maybe the crappy Cylmer's manual does not state it properly, but if you were using an actual Suzuki service manual, it's quite clear that on that particular model lower unit the shift shaft assembly is the last item to be removed and the first item to be installed.