Suzuki ignition switch. What voltages should I be seeing?

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere. I've got a NA 12S. I'm troubleshooting an ignition problem. I bypassed the kill switch and it made no difference, so it's on to the ignition switch. What voltages should I be seeing on the wires coming out of the ignition switch? And which wire is ground?

Thanks in advance.....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Suzuki ignition switch. What voltages should I be seeing?

how did you by pass the kill switch?
The kill switch grounds the spark voltage to keep the spark plugs from sparking

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a no-spark situation. After I unplugged the kill wire from the power pack, it started. According to all the research I've done here, that meant the problem was either the kill switch, a bad ground, or the ignition switch. I read that if I detached the wires at the kill/safety switch and hooked them together, it would remove the kill switch from the circuit. Since there was no change, it would seem the switch is good. So on to the ignition switch.

Have I got this wrong?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

yes you have it wrong, disconnect the wires from kill switch and do not hook them together.
Kill or key switch going bad or wiring harness is going to ground

Just saw where you are located, I live in Clute

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to hear you're in Clute. I'll try that kill switch again in the next couple of days.

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes you have it wrong, disconnect the wires from kill switch and do not hook them together.
Kill or key switch going bad or wiring harness is going to ground

Just saw where you are located, I live in Clute

I finally had time this morning. A curious thing.....it started when I disconnected the kill switch, as you suggested. So I thought.....problem solved. But then I plugged the switch back in and it started also. So I don't know what to think. An intermittant bad kill switch, or one of the kill switch wires is mostly bad somewhere in the harness?

Then again, could it be an "iffy" ignition switch that just makes it seem like the kill switch is the culprit?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Some thing is grounding that circuit when it will not spark, you will have to find out what.

One of the 2 switches or the wiring itself.
Wiggle the wiring around while running to see if that causes it to die, inspect wiring for bare spots or pinched wire.
Play with the switches aslo

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki ignition switch. What voltages should I be seeing? Update.

I had so much work that I only was able to replace the kill and ignition switches a couple days ago. Same problem....I can run with the 5 wire plug unplugged, but not with it. Does anyone know the color of the wires in the kill/ignition circuit I should be checking for continuity? From the replies here and the searches I've done, it must be a bad ground or corroded wire in this circuit.

Thanks for the help......

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

it is not a bad ground or a corroded connection as that would be not getting a good ground
Something is grounding the wire and not letting the spark to the plugs

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does that mean unbundling the harness from the controls to the motor and visually inspecting all the wires? And then doing the same with the wiring on the motor? Is there any way to use a meter to check resistance and/or continuity. I'm sure there is, but I don't know what I'm looking for. Electrical glitches are the worst.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I can run with the 5 wire plug unplugged, but not with it.

So what does the grey matter between your ears tell you where the problem is if it will run if you disconnect the harness to the controls?

What color was the wire to the kill switch?
Are you working on this motor without a service manual?