Prime start system...

squealer

Cadet
Forgive me for posting a question in a seperate thread, but I am wondering about the prime start assy on my 50TLR, and assume it applies to many other motors. Did a search, but didn't really find any hits for what I am looking for.

1.Is the diaphragm perfectly flat, or is there a very tiny bulge to it (mine seems to have this bulge).
2.would a very small hole in the hose that connects the crankcase pressure to the diaphragm render the system useless?
3. do you think this could cause motor to not run properly until fully warm?
I live in Florida so it is not extremely cold...I am always able to get the motor started without too much trouble. Having a weird problem with the motor not running properly until it is fully warm though...am really suspicious of this prime start now that I have found this hole in the hose, and wondering if this might be my problem. I probably wont be able to test until the weekend, but am looking for opinions.

FTR, the thermovalve works properly, I tested this weekend by applying 12 V for a few minutes and measuring change in valve plunger.

Thanks!

squealer

Cadet
Re: Prime start system...

yes, diphragm is supposed to be perfectly flat, or yes, a small hole in hose would render the system useless, or yes, this could cause the motor to not run correctly till warm?

Capt Ken

Commander

Normal for the diaphram to have a little belly in it as long as no holes. Yes for the hole in the line causing a problem. Being its connected to the intake, it would cause a air leak to the intake.

squealer

Cadet

UPDATE-PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Ran the boat yesterday, and everything was great. The tiny hole in the hose connecting the prime start diapragms to the crankcase must have been big enough to not let the "mini fuel pump" in the prime start system to operate correctly. Changing the hose fixed it and everything is running correctly now. Thanks for the help!