2000 90hp Yamaha Overheating

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ive been having some issues with my 90 Yamaha throwing a heat alarm when running over 3500 RPMs. The old impeller broke up so I pulled the plate off on the side of the motor and cleaned out the water passages and there was some rubber parts stuck in there blocking water flow. Then I replaced the water pump ( whole new water pump housing , wear plates , impeller etc). Now it's pissing great but I'm not getting much water pressure showing on my guage say 10-15 wide open and while idling it will barely registers any pressure. And it still throws an over heat alarm.

How does the water pressure guage work on these motors , should I replace the thermostat and Pressure control valve to see if this will help?

One more question , since the motor has a strong tell tail does this mean the thermostat is working properly or does the tell tail flow come before the thermostat and pressure control valve so the flow on the tell tail will be strong even of the motors not being cooled properly ?

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 90hp Yamaha Overheating

Bump....I am having cooling issues as well, 2003 90HP Yami. Need to know how things work. No manuals yet.