Yamaha 9.9 broken water pump bolts

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yamaha Model FT9.9ELD (1990)
I am attempting to replace the water pump impeller and oil seals under the pump. This motor has not been serviced for a long time and the water pump assembly bolts were very seized from salt build up. I was able to work 2 of them out by a series on small movements, however I was not so lucky on the back 2 bolts. Both bolts broke at the point were the threads start. My question is should I try to drill them and use an extractor or should I just drill them slightly over-sized, re tap and use the corresponding oversize bolts. (in this case I may have to drill the holes in the housing slightly larger to accommodate slightly larger bolts. It looks like there is enough meat to go down this road. My concern with using the extractor method is that if the extractor breaks off in the end of the broken bold then it is impossible to drill. Any imput would be appreciated.

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 9.9 broken water pump bolts

Thanks for the link, good tips.

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 9.9 broken water pump bolts

After a lack of success with an extraction. I drilled them slightly over size and moved up one metric size. The other obstetrical was that I did not want to dismantle the lower unit as I suspected the salt corrosion would make that task impossible without breaking something on this aging motor. So this left me with the drive shaft very close to the spot I was drilling so I was unable to use the drill press and hand drilled holes are very hard to get perfectly straight. I am considering putting a bit of Permatex gasket maker on the water pump gaskets and the edges of the new oil seals (Prop shaft and Drive shaft) before I press them in. There is some pitting on the seal surfaces I a figured the Permatex will cause no harm. Maybe it might make it harder to take apart again, however I suspect this will be the last service on a lower unit of this age. Any thoughts?