Suzuki DT65 monitor, oil light

372BAN

Recruit
I have a 1988 Suzuki DT65 with monitor gauge 34701-92x50. The gauge has water flow light, oil level light (three green and one red), oil lamp light, rev limit light. Engine was running great on water when the red oil level light came on but the three green level lights were on also. Bottle was full of oil. The engine went into limp mode and would not reset.
I have changed the oil level sensor, oil flow sensor, oil reset switch, CDI, Throttle position sensor, carbs rebuilt this year. I have checked the wiring harness. Anyone know if the red light below the three green for oil level is supposed to be on during normal operation? Maybe bad monitor??

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DT65 monitor, oil light

oil light(red) comes on when bottle is empty. If its on, try unplugging harness at bottle. I suspect harness is grounded some place. 3 green is full 2 green is 2/3 full, 1 green 1/3 full. unplug harness from gauge and sensor,check harness with ohm meter i suspect a wire is shorted to ground

372BAN

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DT65 monitor, oil light

The three green lights are dim and the red light is on when I first turn on the key. The green lights then get brighter as the oil level sensor recognizes that the bottle is full. When I disconnect the plug (five wires in this) at the monitor the green lights are dim and the red is still on. I am not sure if the dim green lights are normal? There is an individual black wire(ground) and a grey wire (switched power) that also goes to the monitor but is seperate from the plug. The grey supplies power to the monitor. The three green and red light goes off if I disconnect the black or grey.

I isolated that monitor from the boat all together and supplied seperate power to the monitor through the grey wire. The three dim green lights come on and the red. I will check the wiring harness as you said. I am baffled.