YAMAHA VMAX V150TLR 2-stroke carb'd 2002 Owners question

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am curious what type of scheduled maintenance other V150TLR owners have been performing. I plan to take it in for annual maintenance soon, but am just curious what I should be doing on my own in-between yearly maintenance.

All I am currently doing is running 3 ounces of ring free plus at every fill up and using yamalube 2-stoke oil most of the time. I have on occasion run out of yamalube oil and had to substitute with quicksilver.

Any advice or tips on owning this motor would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks y'all.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: YAMAHA VMAX V150TLR 2-stroke carb'd 2002 Owners question

My experience is clean, fresh fuel all the time and these motors are very dependable...a water/fuel separator type canister filter is a great investment in preventive maintenance. Grease gun all zerks whenever you take the boat out, especially in salt water. Remove cowl regularly for a fine detailed visual inspection of all parts. Use of Ringfree and a stabilizer like Stabil or Seafoam is very good!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can download the owners manual from Yamaha at Owners Manuals | Yamaha Outboards

The manual lists the suggested maintenance for your motor.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the responses. Does anyone apply grease to the ends of the silver trim rods where they touch the motor body. I have noticed that these grind when theI trim from full up to running level and there appears to be traces of old grease around the contact points.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yes it would be a good idea to put a small dab of grease there

Capt Ken

Commander

You need to keep grease on the ends of the trim rams. I had a long conversation with my Yamaha Tech rep the other day about that. If they are dry, they actually drag across the metal and will wear the internal cylinder. They are possibly looking at putting ball ends on them like Mercury in some of the future engines.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Do you recommend a particular type of grease for this? I don't forsee the grease I'm using for my prop being able to hold up on that surface very long.

mayflower

Recruit

I have the same motor V Max 150. I use a marine grease on the trim rods. Installing a spin on fuel filter and replacing the fuel line is important because of methanol deterioration. Check and clean small fuel filter on side of motor. If you notice extra fuel on the water around the motor when idling then you need to replace the two fuel pumps to be safe. They are only $35 each. If they go bad it can destroy your motor. Most of the maintenance is fuel related.

mayflower

Recruit

I have the same motor V Max 150. I use a marine grease on the trim rods. Installing a spin on fuel filter and replacing the fuel line is important because of methanol deterioration. Check and clean small fuel filter on side of motor. If you notice extra fuel on the water around the motor when idling then you need to replace the two fuel pumps to be safe. They are only $35 each. If they go bad it can destroy your motor. Most of the maintenance is fuel related.

I meant to say ethanol.
And if you have not changed the water pressure re leaf valve it need it. Some refer to it as the pop-it valve. If it is stuck you motor will overheat at idol. Its easy and cheap to do.