Suzuki 1999 DT150 Tilt Trim Motor Replacement

HudsonAl

Recruit
I recently changed a tilt and trim motor on one of my 1999 Suzuki DT150s and did not see much help on forums. So, I decided to show how I got the motor on the unit. I was a pain.

I accomplished this feat while the boat was on my lift. The problem with this job was in getting to the back of three bolts holding the motor in place. I had to remove all of the bolts to the TNT unit - 4 on each side in order to pry the tnt unit outward slightly. But, this only gave a very small area in which to get a tool between the transom bracket and the TNT motor. (Actually, one of these bolts broke and I had to drill it out, tried an easy-out and it broke, so had to redrill - PAIN).

I had to make up a tool that would be slim enough to get into the space and have attached a picture. Used a flexible extension for screwdriver bits ($3.99 at Harbour Freight), a 10mm socket from a very cheap sicket set so that it would be thin, a 1/4" drive to hex-head piece that fit into the end of the flexible extension, and a socket that fit the hex drive.

I placed the motor bolt into the socket with the extension and placed the bolt into the new motor base mounting hole and kept some pressure on the bolt while placing the motor into place. I then tightened the bolt and pryed out on the bottom of the loosened PTT unit to work the tool back out the top. The socket actually came loose, but I was able to knock it out with a piece of a coat hanger while prying on the PTT unit.

I also loosened the transom motor mounting bolts and leaned the motor out about 1/4 inch.

I hope this helps someone.

SuzukiTNTTool.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Suzuki 1999 DT150 Tilt Trim Motor Replacement

Well, looks like a real pain in the butt job, but you got the satisfaction of doing it yourself!...I'm not sure I'd have tackled that, and if I had, may have screwed up more stuff than i fixed!:) Good Job!