SUZUKI DT 50 lower unit

tom45

Recruit
Hi,
I have a 1980 suzuki dt 50 and I have to change oil seal above the gearcase.I've disassembled gearcase,changed oil seals behind propeler, but I can't take off the bearing housing.In that housing should be an oil seal.It seems like something is holding it down(spring??).Don't have service manual.Can anyone help, IMG_0291.jpg0008.jpgplease?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: SUZUKI DT 50 lower unit

did you get both ring gears out? There is a nut on the end of the shaft has to come off, it holds the pinion gear on the shaft

tom45

Recruit

Here is the scheme of transmission.Do you mean nut nr.18 on sketch? I thought I could take housing off without extracting driveshaft.:confused:

Attachments

• 0036.jpg
    0036.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Tom,

Those part pictures are way too small, nothing (not much) can be seen from there.
I am asking if those locating tubes, in the bottom left and top right holes in the first picture, seem to go through that plate that holds the seal. If so, those two locating pins/tubes might hold that plate. It probably was an intermediate fit when new (very light tapping would have installed that plate) and by now it is probably corroded. You probably need to "persuade" that plate to came off.
Again, it is not too clear from the first picture, but are there threaded holes in the plate next to the locating tubes, with no holes in the piece underneath it? If so, driving two bolts in there would lift/pull the plate off from the lower piece.
Be careful with it, it looks easy to break it!

Peter

tom45

Recruit

Hi!
Sorry,I didn't realized that pics are so small. Here are bigger pics, if it will help you. BTW, those locating tubes are short and I can pull them out. In fact, I can pull the whole plate for aprox. 1 cm, but it seems like something is pulling it down.
Thanks and apologize for the bad english.

Attachments

• transmission.jpg
    transmission.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • water pump.jpg
    water pump.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Tom,

Your English is fine, not to worry!
From the part diagram it looks that the driveshaft upper bearing and the seal is installed in that intermediate plate, and it installs from the underside (when the plate is removed). The driveshaft above the water pump looks a bit corroded, that might be the thing that prevents the removal of the plate. Remove the corrosion with a fine sandpaper then the plate should come off with the bearing and the seal.

Peter

tom45

Recruit

Peter,
thank you for your advice. I'll try to disassemble it, but in two days due to a new years eve.I will notify you if how it went.

Tom