2004 yamaha top cowling broken,clogged breather clamp plate

shadowhunter

Recruit
anyone know why these ,what i believe are called clamp plates ,get clogged and break every year,they attach to what appears to be a breather tube in the top cowling,what is their purpose,and why do they keep breaking,about 35 $ to replace one and there are four on each motor two front two rear,seems only the fronts are a problem

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 2004 yamaha top cowling broken,clogged breather clamp plate

Never had a problem with them. You must not be holding your mouth right.

Capt Ken

Commander

Just saying, I remove/install the top cover on them all the time and never had one break. So it may be operator error and not a design problem.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I am not sure how a plate can plug up
I guess I have no idea what this thing is

Can you post a pic or a part #

shadowhunter

Recruit

from looking at the parts break down it looks like it's called a plate clamp ,why i don't know part no 63p42644-00-00, it looks like cast aluminium L shaped with two rubber caps,this part connects to a rubber hose and looks like they are for ventilation,as they appear to be getting glogged with salt deposites, as to why they keep breaking ,i am not sure maybe vibration

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If this thing is getting a bunch of salt build up and corrosion then you need to look for and stop the salt spray from entering the cowling as it is entering your motor also.

Seen way too many boats set up with different things that spray water up around the transom where motor can suck it in, not good.