Use of oil pump versus premix gas pro and cons in Yamaha 2 stroke ?

Eddyhifi

Cadet
Hi everyone any advise :cool: will be appreciated. I have a Yamaha 130hp 1998 with carburetor. I,m still using the original oil pump for lubrication. I have heard many times that is better if I disconnect the pump and use premix gas instead.?????
Different people and some of them with mechanic background. What to do????
thank's in advance.:confused:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Use of oil pump versus premix gas pro and cons in Yamaha 2 stroke ?

If it works don't fix it.

Capt Ken

Commander

They may be mechanics but have no knowledge of oil injection systems. If you value your engine, please don't take advise from them unless it for your lawn mower.

Eddyhifi

Cadet

I supposed that, but i was not sure about it. Thank's a lot. I took it out the oil pump for maintenance and i will put it back. I checked the
o-rings, and all parts, no visible damage observed. What to use for cleaning???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have not heard of any failures in the Yamaha oil injection system. The only pro I can see to disconnecting it is to eliminate one possible thing to fail.

I don't know if your system varies the oil/fuel mix with load and/or rpm, but if it does it reduces oil usage and potential deposits of carbon.

Frankly, I think the possibility of human error mixing premix is greater than problems in the oil injection system.

This whole issue is based on old, old information that the original VRO system introduced by OMC was notoriously unreliable. That was fixed and I know of no problems with other makers.

Too many "mechanics" are quick to offer advice on topics they know little or nothing about.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Yamaha's oil injection unit is completely mechanical, and they're bulletproof. The pumps and the floats in the tanks are what's electronic, and they're hooked up to your tachometer.

There's no reason to pre-mix as long as your system is working right.

robert graham

Admiral

Hi everyone any advise :cool: will be appreciated. I have a Yamaha 130hp 1998 with carburetor. I,m still using the original oil pump for lubrication. I have heard many times that is better if I disconnect the pump and use premix gas instead.?????
Different people and some of them with mechanic background. What to do????
thank's in advance.:confused:
I can say from experience and having owned several Yamaha Outboard motors, some premix and some with the oil injection, that both systems work fine. Probably best to leave your oil injection system like it is, but check and maintain the tank, filters, pump, lines, etc. like with any other system. Good Luck!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

From what I have read Yamaha does recommend draining, cleaning the oil tanks and rest of system on a regular bases to make sure no sludge or water plugs up filters and check valves.
They even have a test to make sure it is putting out the proper amount of oil and recommendations for flushing and testing check valves.

Keep up with the maintenance of all systems on your motor and it will be running for many years

Eddyhifi

Cadet

From what I have read Yamaha does recommend draining, cleaning the oil tanks and rest of system on a regular bases to make sure no sludge or water plugs up filters and check valves.
They even have a test to make sure it is putting out the proper amount of oil and recommendations for flushing and testing check valves.

Keep up with the maintenance of all systems on your motor and it will be running for many years

Thank's a lot to all of you.