2009 Yamaha 25 Reverse gear slipping

Higgins79

Seaman Apprentice
My buddy has this 2stroke '09 Yamadog that has a gear slip issue. If he puts the motor from neutral to reverse at idle speed it's fine, but when he revs it up it slips out of reverse and into neutral. He thinks it may be caused by the fact that he has juiced it immediately after putting it into reverse. We're pretty sure it's not a lower unit problem. Any ideas? thanks.

-Higgins

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 2009 Yamaha 25 Reverse gear slipping

If its not in the adjustment, then the edges on the shift clutch are rounded.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

what is a Yamadog?

I agree with Ken

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe your gear shift linkage is slightly out of adjustment?...check it out...

ak34

Recruit

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums. I've been looking for solutions to the same problems as described previously. We have adjusted the linkages 4-5 times trying different methods. We disconnected the linkages and removed the lower unit. We pushed down on the gear rod to put the lower unit in "reverse". As we began to reconnect the lower unit and the linkages, the shifter would not stay in reverse. We finally had someone hold the shifter in reverse while we reconnected the linkages. As soon as he let go of the shifter, it came back out of reverse. Does this problem require more adjusting of the linkages or do you think we have a gear problem? Any suggestions on the best method for adjusting the linkages? Thanks for your help!