yamaha f40tlry water pump

jay75

Recruit
i just bought 14 foot flat boat with a yahama 40hp 4 stroke took it out a few times its been fine .i took it out yesterday and noticed that it wasnt peeing very strong in idle and when i opened it up it stop completely what could cause this problem thanks in advance got another issue but will post after i figure this out

robert graham

Admiral
Re: yamaha f40tlry water pump

Since the water pump maintenance/replacement history may be an unknown, maybe a good time to replace the water pump(kit), thermostat and pressure control valve....then you'll know what you've got. Otherwise try running a wire or piece of heavy monofilament line into that pee hole to open up any possible obstructions(which is a fairly common issue). Good Luck!:)

jay75

Recruit

i tried that but nothing changed. when i hook up muffs it does fine but not sure if thats just the pressure of the hose plus i cant run it on a load . im trying to figure out what i need to get to change water pump looked at a couple of videos looks pretty simple. looks like its just a kit you use the same housing and just change impellor and o rings is that correct

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, the water pump kit is a pretty straightforward/easy shade-tree mechanical procedure...same with the thermostat and pressure control valve replacement. Google up: Yamaha Maintenance Tips Andy, for instructions and photos that may prove helpful.