2004 Yamaha VMAX 150hp Winterizing

airwolf222b

Cadet
Well I guess I'm done for the season. I need to winterize my boat. I would like to learn to do it myself as opposed to paying someone everyear. I've been told several different things I need to do, but I've also read where different motors require different methods. For instance, running antifreeze through the motor. But do I need to do this? Isn't mine self draining? Aside from marine Sta-bil and draining the lower unit and pulling the drain plug. What do I have left to do?

Thanks in advance.

It's a 2004 Yamaha VMAX 150hp.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 2004 Yamaha VMAX 150hp Winterizing

Run Stabil thru the engine, change gear oil, pull spark plugs and spray fogging oil in the cylinders, spray remainder of fogging oil over the power head to prevent corrosion. Store in down position.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

That's about it on a 2 stroke. You could also disconnect the fuel line and let the engine idle (with water muffs) until it stumbles. Then, spray fogging oil into the carbs.

Your winters are not very harsh or very long, and about like our weather. I've always done minimal winterizing on my Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke, and it's 26 years old. My best suggestion is to run 100% gasoline if you can find it.

airwolf222b

Cadet

ok. great. thanks so much for the help. Guess I have a weekend project.

Capt Ken

Commander

Do not disconnect a fuel line on a fuel injected engine unless you want some major problems. Do not remove a fuel line on a OMC VRO system either.