1989 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

mmmckillip

Cadet
Hey everyone,
I started my boat today in the driveway because its been a month or two since it ran. When I cranked it she fired right up. It ran for about five minutes perfectly and then all of the sudden it started to bog and then died. I tried starting it several times after that and it would turn over for a second or two and then die. I noticed fuel dripping from the intake so I'm pretty sure its flooding out. I checked all the spark plugs and they are all firing. Any help with this and I would be very thankful.
THANKS,
Matt

Skeeter#2

Cadet
Re: 1989 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

Hey everyone,
I started my boat today in the driveway because its been a month or two since it ran. When I cranked it she fired right up. It ran for about five minutes perfectly and then all of the sudden it started to bog and then died. I tried starting it several times after that and it would turn over for a second or two and then die. I noticed fuel dripping from the intake so I'm pretty sure its flooding out. I checked all the spark plugs and they are all firing. Any help with this and I would be very thankful.
THANKS,
Matt
When is the last time you replaced the fuel lines, how old are they? They will peal apart from the inside and clog the carbs.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe a bad fuel pump diaphragm sucking raw fuel into crank area and fuel-fouling plugs...fuel pump ever been replaced?

Capt Ken

Commander

Squeeze the primer bulb and watch the front of the carbs. If fuel comes out, the needle valves are not seating. Time to remove the carbs and clean.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've got a 115 hp Yammie, and it only took me a little over an hour to remove the carbs, disassemble, clean, reassemble and install them this year. Just note how many turns it takes to snug down any adjustment screws, and restore them to that point. If you're careful with the gaskets, no carb kit is even required. Best money I ever spent was on a Climer Yamaha repair manual.

The 90/10 gas is death on fuel systems and needle valves. While you're at it, go ahead and checkout the fuel filter cartridge. And, spend $27 for a new rubber membrane in the fuel filter--easily installed.

And as always, put in new spark plugs--and buy a second set to carry on the boat.

mmmckillip

Cadet

Thanks for all the responses. I changed all the fuel lines about 6 months ago and I replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the carbs about a year ago. My best guess is a needle isn't seating so I will do the carbs this weekend and let you guys know. Thanks again.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Chances are you'll just need to address the needle valves--squirt of carb cleaner. The rest of the carbs probably won't require any attention.