96 Yamaha 200 VRO removed, engine 1/2 throttle only. First boat, please help me

TC_Mako

Cadet
Hello. I am as new to boating as I am to these wonderful forums. I just bought a 1982 Mako with a 200 hp Yamaha (1996). My friend and mentor told me the engine originally had a VRO or oil injection system on it, but that one of the previous owners had removed it. I am happy to manually mix the fuel/oil at 50%. This is no bother.

The motor was generating a low oil alert alarm. After reading some manuals I saw I can cut a specific pink wire, which did stop that annoying alarm. My problem is the engine still looks for the VRO, and send a low oil/no oil alert. The LCD screen on the console shows a flashing oil alert, and the motor will not throttle up past maybe 50%.

It seems clear there is a sensor somewhere creating this suedo false low/no oil alert condition, and the engine's protection kicks in. Does anyone know how I can disable this alert?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 96 Yamaha 200 VRO removed, engine 1/2 throttle only. First boat, please help me

Can't do it without reconnecting a float switch back up and un triggering the computer. It thinks the engine oil tank is low on oil and will not change its mind until the float switch tells it that it's ok. The person was a fool for removing the system.

TC_Mako

Cadet
Re: 96 Yamaha 200 VRO removed, engine 1/2 throttle only. First boat, please help me

Can't do it without reconnecting a float switch back up and un triggering the computer. It thinks the engine oil tank is low on oil and will not change its mind until the float switch tells it that it's ok. The person was a fool for removing the system.

I should be able to rig a fake switch. If I find the original wires that went to the float switch, and place some type of resister in the line and make the CDI think it is full of oil?

Now that I think about it, I have seen those switches before. On my friend's boat when his motor over heated and he had to replace his upper oil reservoir. It is a sensor or sending unit that has some type of ring that floats up and down sending a signal to the CDI. I should be able to buy that sensor, tape the lil ring switch to the top end of it, and fool the CDI, right?

Do you know where a wiring diagram can be found/purchased?

Thank you for your reply.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Check you PM (private message)

They are switches that go to ground when made up

Capt Ken

Commander

You are thinking too much into it. The float switch has three magnetic switches. When the float hits bottom, it triggers the alarm in the computer. It has to rise and then trigger then oil level ok switch to tell the computer that the oil level is ok. Once it does that, you can just leave the wires disconnected being there is nothing to trigger the low oil circuit again

TC_Mako

Cadet

Thank you all for your assistance. I shorted the SW3 switch (specific wires on the CDI) last night and it cleared the Low oil and no oil alert on the gauges. I have not started the motor (it was late) but I am confident this condition has been cleared.