Four stroke 75hp Fuel injected Yamaha stalls when put in gear.

shrinkDave

Recruit
Hello People. I drive an 18 foot wooden boat I built 12 years ago. It's powered with a Yamaha 75 four stroke 2005 engine with very low hours. I run it out of water when not in use almost every week. It starts on a dime and hums. I didn't use it for a year, then took it out yesterday on sunny Biscayne Bay in Miami. Started great, idled out of the harbor, put in in gear, and it stalled. Started right up, idled put in in gear, stalled. Now had trouble starting it, (turns over fine), but it started and the idle now didn't sound so good. Got towed. Started engine at home, no prob. Checked fuel filter, blew through it no problem. Looked at plugs, clean. Pumped out tank, just in case. That's where I am now. Any suggestions?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Four stroke 75hp Fuel injected Yamaha stalls when put in gear.

I run it out of water when not in use almost every week.

Not sure if I would run it out of water,
maybe you meant you run it until it dies(out of fuel)

You can never run all fuel out of carbs before motor dies,
which leave some residue when fuel evaporates plugging things up.

Need to pull and clean carbs, pumps, and other lines that hold fuel as stuff will just end up in carbs after cleaning when you start back up

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if I would run it out of water,
maybe you meant you run it until it dies(out of fuel)

You can never run all fuel out of carbs before motor dies,
which leave some residue when fuel evaporates plugging things up.

Need to pull and clean carbs, pumps, and other lines that hold fuel as stuff will just end up in carbs after cleaning when you start back up

He probably means he runs it weekly with the boat out of the water, and that should be interesting pulling those carbs off of that FUEL INJECTED ENGINE!

WOW!

Check the lower unit, maybe it's binding up?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sorry about that, I must have had one to many cold ones yesterday when reading/posting and not thinking

Monitor fuel pressures to see if there are any restrictions and stays in spec.
There are screens/filters in the fuel system that may need cleaning/replacing
Also screens in injectors

Lean running motor does not take a load very well

May be a good idea to have a Yamaha tech hook it up to a computer and check everything