yamaha 130 hp no spark, 1989 model

bsogorka

Recruit
Ok, thanks for any input. Son installed a stereo system in boat. He is not a pro by any means. My 89 model 130 ran flawlessly the same morning. Son spent all night under dash etc. installing amp and stereo. He said a couple of times he did get a slight spark from some wires near back of gauge cluster etc.

Problem now - engine was untouched, now no spark. He messed just with wires by yamaha gauge cluster and shifter control.

What still works 100%

1. engine cranks and spins perfectly by turning ign. key
2. Electric Choke mechanism chokes carbs when depressed
3. Tilt works fine
4. Neutral safety works fine by not allowing cranking unless in neutral.
5. Gauge cluster is working.

What does not work - NO SPARK TO ANY CYLINDERS

fuse on side of engine is good.

again all work was done up front (gauges and shifter), engine ran perfect that morning.

HELP??

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: yamaha 130 hp no spark, 1989 model

Is the kill lanyard clipped in?

bsogorka

Recruit

Yes Lanyard is in, also I tested the wires on back of lanyard, and they ground out when lanyard pulled and non complete circuit when lanyard on - I am pretty much this is exactly how it is supposed to work..?

Capt Ken

Commander

Remove spark plugs. Disconnect wiring harness at engine. Unplug small brown wire on starter solenoid. Touch brown wire to positive side of solenoid to spin engine. Check for spark. If no spark, remove white wire located on lower left corner of CDI and try again. Still no spark, probably bad CDI.