Yamaha C series lower unit compatibility?

Zelleram

Recruit
1997 C40MSHV C series 2 stroke lower unit compatibility
I'm new here and looking for some help.

I bought a 1997 Yamaha C40 MSHV that needs a lower unit. "last owner ran it full speed into a submerged rock and blew up the unit ". He let the moter sit , power head still ran 3 years ago and I bought it cheap off him. *I am trying to find a used lower unit and can't seem to find documentation on the web of what other years and models are compatible. I also can't figure out if the C series is compatible with non C series lower units. Any assistance you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha C series lower unit compatibility?

You might go online to checkout the Yamaha microfiche for your engine's lower unit. There are two parts numbers @ $1,322 for the lower unit housing. You might want to drop the lower unit and look for a parts number.

I suggest you look at EBayMotors.com boat parts section to see if you can filter for used lower units. It's pretty easy to find large salvage yards that sell lower units with a warranty.

Seals are tested by a pressure and vacuum test. I would be hesitant to purchase a lower unit from an individual, as they needed to be properly tested by a professional.

I toasted a Yamaha lower unit this Summer for a 115 hp 2 stroke outboard. Had I just needed seals, it would have been a $325 repair. SEI out of Tampa casts new lower units for popular outboard motors for approx. $845 with a 3 year warranty. Lower unit parts are very expensive, and sometimes it's easiest to purchase a replacement.

terry sims

Recruit

I have a c40plru 1996 40 hp yamaha 2 cycle, 2 stroke lower unit is unrepairable. What other year and model numbers will interchange ? Have been searching for 5 weeks for c40plru unit with no success
Need any help you can give.

Zelleram

Recruit

Ceck out **********

http://www.**********/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-6E9-45300-12-4D.html

I searched there parts caralog and came up with

6E9-45300-12-4D LOWER UNIT ASSEMBLY (REF. # 2~6 --- LOWER UNIT ASSY (REF. # 2~62), LOWER UNIT ASSEMBLY (REF. # 2~6
This Yamaha 6E9-45300-12-4D LOWER UNIT ASSY part is also used on these models and components:
1995 C40ELRT LOWER CASING DRIVE 1
1995 C40ERT LOWER CASING - DRIVE 1
1995 C40MHT LOWER CASING - DRIVE 1
1995 C40MLHT LOWER CASING DRIVE 1
1995 C40MSHT LOWER CASING DRIVE 1
1995 C40PLRT LOWER CASING DRIVE 1
1995 C40PRT LOWER CASING - DRIVE 1
1996 C40ELRU LOWER CASING DRIVE 1
1996 C40MSHU LOWER CASING DRIVE 1
1996 C40PLRU LOWER CASING DRIVE 1

Zelleram

Recruit

That is website: boats dot net
It added asterics when i tried to post the actual web address

Thats a pretty short list of lower units to choose from. Also looks like yours us no longer made or offered. My 1997 C40MSHV was a 2 cycle 3 cylinder. My uderstanding is that C models are 3 cylinders and non C models are 2 cylinders and they are not compatible. Someone correct me if i am wrong. I sold mine to a guy who was going to put an aftermarket jet lower unit on it. I looked on ebay on and off for 2 years. Mine never came up.

Good Luck

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

C model and oil injected does not determine number of cylinders, that is year model

terry sims

Recruit

C model and oil injected does not determine number of cylinders, that is year model

After 6 weeks finally found a used unit. Slight changes in similar models very,very frustrating. When I get to be King, one size will fit all. Thanks for the help.