Can I use STP Gas Treatment in my 1998 Yamaha 150hp outboard?

edsellsfl

Recruit
I have a 1998 Yamaha 150hp outboard, can I use STP gas treatment to clear the carbs....it's running a bit rough after fresh fuel this weekend?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Can I use STP Gas Treatment in my 1998 Yamaha 150hp outboard?

I'd stay with Stabil Marine, Seafoam and Yamaha Ringfree, but if your carbs are in fact plugged up, then chemicals may not take the place of carb cleaning. Have you tried draining each carb with float chamber drain screw? Do you have a fuel/water separater type fuel filter?

edsellsfl

Recruit

I'd stay with Stabil Marine, Seafoam and Yamaha Ringfree, but if your carbs are in fact plugged up, then chemicals may not take the place of carb cleaning. Have you tried draining each carb with float chamber drain screw? Do you have a fuel/water separater type fuel filter?

I haven't tried that yet because I am a novice when it comes to boat motors. I need to download a manual to see how to do this and make sure it's not beyond my comfort level. Thank you for the suggestion concerning adding a fuel/water separator filter. This will be my next investment and from the sounds of it, I would think this will be an easy installation.

Thank you again for the helpful information Robert!

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, that Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separater($27) is easy to install and excellent preventive maintenance. Regarding fuel systems, a few ounces of prevention are worth many pounds of cure$$$....

robert graham

Admiral

And don't forget to drain each carb from time to time, but especially for extended(several weeks or months) lay-ups!....Anything that accumulates in those float chambers will drain right out!...good preventive maintenance and saves time/expense of plugged carbs, which can lead to lean fuel mixture and fried pistons$$$$

k9one

Recruit

I have a 1998 Yamaha 150hp outboard, can I use STP gas treatment to clear the carbs....it's running a bit rough after fresh fuel this weekend?

No. Stp is designed for auto use. It may strip the oil from internal parts causing damage. stick with seafoam, marine stabil, yamaha ring free etc...