2000 50 HP Yamaha trim indicator - this can't be the way it works can it?

donsmy

Cadet
I have a 2000 4 stroke 50 Hp Yamaha. T50TLRY High thrust on a 24 ft. pontoon. The trim inicator switch works - if I move it by hand. However, the trim switch isn't engaged at all until the motor is 90% in the down positon. When all the way down, the most I can adjust the switch is to move the trim indicator needle to about the half way point. I've researched this and his isn't one of the motors with the round plastic trim indicators parts that is installed on the tilt tube. The only thing that seems to engage the trim swith is the side of the motor bracket. I must be missing something as with this setup, after you raise the motor just a few inches, the trim switch is no longer engaged and the tirm inicator shows all the up. below is a pic of the switch with the motor all the way up. If anyone can help me figure out how I can get a normal and full trim reading it would be much appreciated. - its a real pain having to climb over the back seat to see if the motor is up or down.
trim switch 1.JPG
tirm switch 2.JPG

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 50 HP Yamaha trim indicator - this can't be the way it works can it?

It indicates just the trim part of travel not the tilt, that is why it only contacts during the bottom part of travel

donsmy

Cadet
Re: 2000 50 HP Yamaha trim indicator - this can't be the way it works can it?

is there anyway to change that so that I can see the full tilt and trim? Thanks