2003 yamaha water pump change question

lonewolf5348

Recruit
I have a 2003 yam on my 18 ft center console ,I am the original owner and do take well care of the boat and engine.
I did purchase a water pump repair kit and thought after 10 years on the water it may be time to check and change the
impeller I never had any problems as far as over heating and to day was a great day to get at it.
I was very surprise to see once I removed the water pump housing the impeller was as good as new no missing parts on the fins.I did have a large build up of dry salt and some rust on the center shaft.The one big problem was trying to lift the impeller off the key way man I mean stuck but did manage to remove it with some Kroil penetrating solvent and a glass hammer.
I then removed the Key way stainless plate Gasket Pump plate and installed all new gaskets and the O ring.I then installed the impeller
pump housing and turning the shaft clockwise while pushing down the housing.I then installed the 4 bolts and used some blue lock tight on the threads.
I only ran into a little problem when installing the lower unit back into the housing I missed the plastic sleeve for the gear shift and after bolting up the unit I notice no forward gear ,No problem just unbolted the lower unit and just drop it a little to align the plastic sleeve with the short spline shaft on the front re-bolted and double check now in went into gear forward and reverse.
I have a question the pump work fine the pee hole the water has a nice stream and when giving the throttle the stream just keeps getting stronger.
I did notice also the front of the engine lower part were the lower unit bolt to above that fin there is a small vent hole were the water under pressure also exit that hole (seam very strong pee stream)
A better hole location would be were the plastic hose for the speedometer hooks up and enters the lower gear case
IS THIS NORMAL FOR A STRONG STREAM OF WATER COMING OUT
RED LINE IS WERE I AM TALKING ABOUT
yamahaoutboard.jpg

By lonewolfrock at 2012-09-11