2000 yamaha 115 2stroke question

ragbul

Cadet
Ok heres what I have, I have a 2000 115 yamaha 2 stroke that will not run at idle. The boat was on a lift in central florida and I was unable to get it off because of water levels. I ran the boat every other week if not weekly for about 6 or 7 months. This past weekend I let it run and took it off the lift (the water finally came up enough). It ran fine for about 20 minutes at idle and wide open (pulling a tube). When I slowed down to get people off the tube it shut down. I got it running again and was able to use it at about 1/2 to full throttle and it ran fine. I had stabil/ethanol treatment in it while it sat, checked the tank vent, and also replaced checked both filters (10 micron engine mount and fuel water filter replaced). I dont know where to check next, I am thinking it possible is the fuel pump because with higher rpms it pulls its own vaccum through the pump but will not at lower rpms. If this is not it I am guessing maybe I picked something up in the carbs but for both of them to get jammed up at the same time seems weird. I am just looking for some advice from maybe someone that has seen this problem or knows which way to point me. Like I said its a 115 yamaha 2 stroke, oil injected with unknown hours (approx 300) and used often when the water levels were normal.
Much appreciated.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 2000 yamaha 115 2stroke question

You plugged up the low speed jets in the carbs. Remove and clean.

rowboater

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1997 Yamaha 115.Had a similar problem except at the other end of the RPM range.Boat ran fine and all of the sudden couldn't get above 4000 RPM.Pulled lower carb and blew out all the passageways.This fixed the problem.I also have a 10 micron Yamaha filter that I changed first but that was no help.I think it only takes the smallest particle to block a passageway/jet.This can enter the fuel system from somewhere downline of the filter.In my case I think it came from the area around the air silencer.I have had to do the same thing,clean the carb,a few times now over the years.Never rebuilt anything.I feel your better off leaving it the way it came from the factory if you can.Be curious what the final fix is please let us know and good luck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=552699&p=3794100#post3794100

ragbul

Cadet

ok after a delay for bow season here I am back to working on the motor. Today I pulled the carbs and cleaned them top to bottom put them back in and it ran at idle for a minute and then cut off. It still runs fine half throttle. I pulled the spark plugs and they were wet (also replaced those). I then in reading the manual saw that the fuel pump could cause this by leaking fuel into the crank case. I pulled the fuel pump and took it apart and it looked fine. I then hooked the fuel line directly to the T connecting the two carbs and it ran at idle pumping the bulb (without the pump on the motor) for approx 4 or 5 minutes. I am wondering if the fuel pump could be the bandit or if its coincidence that without it on it worked. If the diaphrams on the pump did have a pin hole could this cause the crankcase to pull fuel in and soak the plugs. Any help would as always be appreciated and if this all sounds silly what direction should I turn to for a solution.
thanks
Danny