1999 Yamaha 150 2 Cycle Saltwater Series intermittent starter problem

Andy Knudsen

Recruit
Have had this boat/engine for about 2 months. Has worked fine. Had it out of water for about 3 weeks at a canvas shop for a cover. Preparing for launch I charged battery while on trailer, took to ramp, tried to start engine and is turned over for a while but did not start. Tried again and heard a buzzer for a few seconds. Tried again, heard a click and it did not turn over any more. Ran to local bait store and bought a new battery and replaced existing one since it was 3+ years old and was planning to replace it at the end of the season (with a good battery -- not an overpriced one from a bait shop). With the new battery it started right up and I took boat to my dock just fine. The next day the boat started right up and ran around the lake fine for about 20 minutes. I stopped and turned off the engine for a minute and tried to restart and I heard a click and it would not turn over. After trying to start it a few times with the same result, I then waited a few minutes and it started up and ran fine again. This intermittent starting issue continues. I checked battery connections and they appear good. Based on some other posts I'll check voltages and grounds as suggested by others. One last thing -- when I got the boat back from the canvas shop and the battery charged I noticed the radio and docking lights did not work. I reset the breakers and wiggled the leads to the switches and they worked again -- not thinking this has anything to do with the starter and I think maybe just the vibration from trailering may have loosened something, but thought I'd mention it. Any suggestions???