2001 Yamaha 115 TLRZ wont start without engine starter

statsman77

Cadet
Will not start unless I spray starter fluid in. Coke works. Once running it runs great. I checked the compression on all 4 of the cylinders and they are all close together and within specs. I tested the spark with a gap tester and good. Using good fuel and primer bulb checked. Starter engages and spins flywheel. Took off carbs and they looked squeaky clean. My guess might be fuel pump bad, starter not spinning fast enough even though it seems to. Any suggestions, I want to get on the water without using starter spray. Thank you - Paul

Spark test - http://youtu.be/t_qgrwcswTM - DID video because by my self.

emoney

Commander
Re: 2001 Yamaha 115 TLRZ wont start without engine starter

Good job on that video, btw. That would make a handy little thread by itself for anyone that doesn't know what "test the spark" looks like.

As for your issue, sorry but I'm of no help. I just thought the video was cool. However, I'll throw this question out in the event it helps the person that DOES know what's what: How does it act on "re-start"? If other words, is this a "cold start" problem only?

statsman77

Cadet

Thanks - the camera comes in good when you are working alone and can not see it. If you come across any insight please pass it on, I am not on the water because I have heard that the starting fluid is bad for the engine. Restart is OK if it is done after running for awhile and within a minute or 2 of powering off.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You say choke works, but motor will not start without starter fluid.

Need to check to see if choke is closing the butterflies completely when you hit it

and make sure you raise the fast idle lever a little to give it some air

statsman77

Cadet

thanks 99yam40 - choke works but the only way to get it started is spray some engine starter fluid. It is fully closing. Once it starts and runs for a bit it will start back up if not too much time has gone by.

statsman77

Cadet

Quick Update - took boat out yesterday and started with the spray - ran strong and purred put about 4 hours of time on the engine with lot of idling, most of it in the 2500-4000 rpm range. Stopped about 8 times to fish and after 45 minutes,15 minutes, 1.5 hours of being off started fine. Temperature was about 95 on the water and water temp at 86 in Texas. In total ran about 18 gallons of fuel.

1) Could it be fuel pump
2) Anything related to that emergency oil resorvoir switch that allows you to get back in lower rpms

Any ideas of why the first start or cold start will not work with out starter fluid

Thanks - Paul

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

tell us your start procedure.

Need to pump primer bulb till hard( this fills carb bowls)
and then lift fast idle lever a little so the motor can get some air,
and then turn key to start while pushing in on the key to make choke to engage while motor is turning over

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

How old is your battery? My 4stroke had cold starting trouble even with a charged battery. I recently found the battery was 6 years old and replaced it and it now starts much faster after sitting for weeks.

emoney

Commander

If you're not following a "cold start procedure" with a warm-up lever of some type, post a picture of your controls. Definitely sounds like it's just "cold".