SuZuki DT50 coils rubbing flywheel... ANY IDEAS?

arffaz

Cadet
I recently pulled my flywheel off my DT50 due to seeing metal shaving flying out from under the flywheel while the engine was under 3/4 or more throttle. Once I pulled the fly wheel I could see where the magnets have been rubbing the mounting post for both the ignition and charging coils. There is barely any room for adjustment...what could I do to remedy this issue? My thoughts were to ream out the existing holes but I don?t want to mess up the air gap.

Here are some pictures:

I also noticed that the mounting post do no align with the bevel of the armature plate...is this correct?

boat 3.jpg
boat.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
Re: SuZuki DT50 coils rubbing flywheel... ANY IDEAS?

Any looseness or end play in that crankshaft that might allow contact with flywheel and components?...otherwise the components had to move?:confused:

arffaz

Cadet

I applied side to side force and up and up to the shaft and there is zero play. The armature plate that the coils bolt to have a little play though.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe tighten everything down good and give it a spin....is the flywheel riding down squarely on that taper and the wooduff key? Is the flywheel nut always good and tight?....torque it down with lock washer, maybe some Loctite?

arffaz

Cadet

Thats my plan tonight, I will tighten it all down and check again. The flywheel is all the way down on the taper and I torqed alll the way down. I am wondering if it is riding to far down on the taper?

arffaz

Cadet

Do you think that coil should be flush witht the mount?

arffaz

Cadet

Would it be recommended to elongated the current mounting holes?

robert graham

Admiral

If it's set up like it's supposed to be, then no modifications should be required. The taper on the flywheel and the taper on the crankshaft are in tight contact held on by that big flywheel nut, woodruff key prevents any slipage.