2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke Losing Oil (pictures inside)

NWOOO

Cadet
2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke. Here are the timeline of events:

- First trip out this Spring, we saw some oil in the lower cowling.......maybe 1/8 of a cup. Not much, kind of light brown in colour. (***First time a non-OEM oil filter was used***)

-Being a bit freaked out by the oil, I changed the oil filter back to a Yamaha filter.

- Next time out, the motor was fine, no oil, all good.

- Another time out, we saw the return of a bit of oil. We had no idea where it was coming from.

- Fast forward to last week, and lots of oil in the lower cowling, as well as oil on the outside of the motor in the upper shaft area (see picture).

Also: The motor runs fine.....no overt performance issues or sounds. The oil in the head remains clean on the dipstick with no signs of water, although it looks a bit low. The motor was taken into a local shop and hooked up to the computer and ran for a good while.....the computer picked up zero problems. The mechanic was a bit baffled.

I've had a few people ask me if I had over-filled the oil, and I said I was pretty sure I hadn't. 2.5 liters is easy to remember.

So my friends, any thoughts as to what this could be?

-T

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke Losing Oil (pictures inside)

a computer is not going to help with this problem. Clean the engine thoroughly and watch where its coming from. Is the oil level increasing when running? You may have an internal water leak which is overfilling the pan. CHECK the level on the dipstick and see if it comes up with use...

NWOOO

Cadet
Re: 2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke Losing Oil (pictures inside)

a computer is not going to help with this problem. Clean the engine thoroughly and watch where its coming from. Is the oil level increasing when running? You may have an internal water leak which is overfilling the pan. CHECK the level on the dipstick and see if it comes up with use...

I did that last week.....took off the plastic shroud on the upper part of the lower end and cleaned everything up.......plus any oil in the lower cowling.

And, yes, that is the plan.....to see if it leaks oil again and from where.

As far as the dipstick, I checked it last time immediately after it leaked and the level didn't look unusually high.

(Oh, and ran into an acquaintance this weekend.......he has a similar vintage yamaha 75. He said the same thing happened to him, and his issue was the oil pan gasket. From the schematics I've seen of my engine, plus the oil location and problem, I am leaning to that being the problem.......especially since his *coincidentally* had the same issue)

Now, I just have to find time to take it out again. :redface: