Yamaha gear shift adjustment

roymariner

Recruit
I have a 1987 Yamaha 90 hp 2-stroke outboard and the gear shifter cable at the engine end will go into forward gear okay, but is too short to shift into reverse gear and the adjustment at the end of the cable is at full length. Can I adjust this cable somehow at the other end - the Control end where the shift lever is - or what should I do?
Thanks for your help, Cheers!

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha gear shift adjustment

you may need to replace the cable, also check the condition of the shift shaft, they corrode and begin to get play in them,(it is visable about 2/3 of the way down the lower unit)

roymariner

Recruit
Re: Yamaha gear shift adjustment

you may need to replace the cable, also check the condition of the shift shaft, they corrode and begin to get play in them,(it is visable about 2/3 of the way down the lower unit)

Thanks Erniefish. I should mention that I can push the sliding gear selector into reverse and forward with my hand without any problem, it's just that the gearshift cable when attached to it won't allow it to go back far enough to engage reverse. Do you think there is any way of lengthening that gear cable at the throttle/control end of things (is there an adjustment inside the control box) or can the little black attachment fitting at the gear selector end be changed for a longer one. My problem is I don't yet have a Yamaha manual, so not sure if there are other ways of adjusting the cable length other than the threaded end at the engine.If there is, I might be in business.
Thanks for your advice.