89 Yamaha 6hp 2 Stroke Impeller Question

carpking

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bought this motor at an estate auction for virtually nothing. Owner had it stored inside on a stand, original gas tank and lines also professionally cleaned and stored. Got it home, checked compression, put new plugs in and no fire... Thought it was a bad CDI, but local mechanic said to unhook kill switch and try. BAM, nailed it. Fired right up and runs great. Now, for my question. I don't see any water coming out of exhaust port. I do, however, see water pumping out of lower unit at pivot joint. Not familiar with these motors at all, but im wondering if this is the correct dispersion point for the impeller or should it be coming out of exhaust ports? I don't want to damage it. If it needs a new impeller fine, but I'd like to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

carpking

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 Yamaha 6hp 2 Stroke Impeller Question

Also, sorry guys, the gas tank says that fuel/oil ratio should be 100:1. However, when researching this motor, I saw where Yamaha may have rescinded this and now suggests 50:1. For this initial start-up, I went with 50:1. Anyone know for sure what the proper ratio should be?

carpking

Petty Officer 3rd Class

54 views and no replies....oh well, new problem anyway. Decided to pull lower unit and order new impeller, but discovered new issue. Checked lower gear oil and it came out milky white...water. Thought I'd price parts for an entire impeller kit with gaskets, but no one has kits for this motor...just the impeller. Cant find a lower unit seal kit for it either. This a 1989 model. Can not believe parts sources are so scarce! Dealer wants $225 for parts and labor which is more than the motor is really worth. Thought about changing impeller and using some time of gasket sealer and replacing gaskets on fill and drain screws. Again, any help, advice, or info is much appreciated...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

pressure test the lower unit to see where it has leaks, replace only what is needed

take apart water pump and see what is needed to put back together, sometimes o-rings and some gaskets can be reused.

check with your Yamaha dealer to find the water pump kit

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

LU gasket repair kit-$16
Water Pump repair kit-$31
Carb repair kit-$25

All these kits are easy to find&order online or as 99Yam said through any Yamaha Auth. Parts Dealer.
I had a 88' 6hp and ordered these kits about 6mo. ago.

As for the gas mix it says use 100-1 but po and i used 50-1mix, alittle more smoke but ran great.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

LU gasket repair kit-$16
Carb repair kit-$25

All these kits are easy to find&order online or as 99Yam said through any Yamaha Auth. Parts Dealer.

As for the gas mix it says use 100-1 but po and i used 50-1mix, alittle more smoke but ran great.

carpking

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LU gasket repair kit-$16
Carb repair kit-$25

Thanks guys. I ordered the water pump kit and went ahead and ordered new lower unit seals even though I haven't pressure tested it yet. I do have the lower unit off and plan on doing the pressure test tomorrow. I also flushed the lower unit with sea foam. Then I used a magnet in the milky oil I drained and in the sea foam discharge and didn't collect any metal shavings or chips. I am hoping the water has not caused any damage. How hard is it to replace the seals? I sthere a way to get them out without removing the guts of the unit? I watched a vid on youtube but it was on a much larger motor. The guy successfully uninstalled old seals and reinstalled new seals without completely disassembling L/U. Also, I did order a service manual as well. Hoping it gets here with the parts to help me along.