2003 Yamaha 115TRLB compression and check out

bear_69cuda

Commander
Good day,

I'm looking at a 2003 Key West 1720cc Sunday with a 2003 Yamaha 115TRLB

I'd like to perform a compression test and cannot locate the procedure, or compression specs for this engine... Should engine be run previous to test? And what % difference between each cylinder is acceptable? Any other tips when I check it out would be appreciated... We are also taking the boat out so I can run her up, and see how she goes!

As always thanks in advance for any advice,

Regards,

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2003 Yamaha 115TRLB compression and check out

No official specs on compression, but all cylinders should be within about 10% of each other. Most "normal" compression readings on a 2 stroke motor probably going to be in the 100PSI to 140PSI range, but again if one cylinder was 80PSI and another was 120PSI it could indicate a problem. To me the actual sea trial and running of the motor, from starting, idling, mid-range and wide open throttle is a very strong indicator of the health of the motor. That motor should show you at least 5500RPM,fully loaded and trimmed up. My brother in law had a 19' Key WestCC with a 115HP 4 stroke Yamaha and it was a fine rig. Yours being a 17' boat should have plenty of speed and power! Good Luck!

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: 2003 Yamaha 115TRLB compression and check out

Hey Robert!

Thanks for the quick response! I'm looking forward to a sea trial! Always wanted a CC!

Peace brutha!