Does anyone make a replacement skeg for a 25 hp Yamaha?

Backslider

Seaman Apprentice
I broke the skeg off my 1994 25 hp Yamaha outboard and have been looking for a replacement skeg on-line. It looks like they don't make them for motors under 30 hp. Has anyone ever had any luck fabricating a skeg replacement or found a replacement for a 25 hp?

Thanks.

jsalty

Cadet
Re: Does anyone make a replacement skeg for a 25 hp Yamaha?

I have lost a few skegs her in Central Florida running in The Chaz refuge, Homosassa river, Salt River, Ozello and Masons Creek..

one on a 25hp yamaha and two on a 115 yamaha.

used a local welding shop and Lee did a fantastic job, this is service he offers as our area lends itself to skeg and prop damage or lowerunits.

look around Idaho for a good aluminum welder as they can usually weld a nice skeg...

good luck

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe get a piece of say, 3/8" aluminum plate, cut and grind it to match your old skeg, get the local welder to weld it on there....might save paying him for his time and labor on the fabrication part, and you might take your time and do a better job anyway!;)

Backslider

Seaman Apprentice

That sounds like the way to go. Too bad they don't make replacement skegs for the smaller outboards. Too bad I wasn't more careful...

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have found that it is more trouble trying to locate a replacement skeg than it is to fabricate one out of sheet aluminum. Even the ones I have purchased required more work to fit them than making a new one. Any decent welding shop will shape one for you from sheet stock.