1991 Yamaha carburetor problem

xanadu3000

Recruit
Hello all; Just bought a 19' Dynasty open bow with a Yamaha 5.0 V8 Yems inboard motor. I was told that the boat sat for almost 2 years (with a full tank of gas) and the gas may be bad. I took it out anyway for the first time, and the motor started fine, but would not take any throttle; it would just bog down and die. So, I removed all of the old gas and filled the tank with fresh gas, and it runs a little better. However, when I give throttle anything above about 50%, it begins to bog again, and I have to throttle down. Therefore, I suspect it is a carburetor issue. I removed the flame arrestor to inspect the carburetor, (please bare with me as I am an extreme novice with engines!) and found that the front valve (I believe it is the choke valve) was not tightly closed, and that the spring that is suppose to hold it closed seems to maybe be worn, or lost its ability to fully close the valve. I am wondering if this could be the problem, and if anyone has insight into this sort of issue?! Thanks fellow boaters!