Suzuki DF 70 not charging battery

Clockie911

Cadet
I have a 2000 Suzuki DF 70 four stroke.
When I turn key the diagnostic runs and the beep sounds, the tach needle jumps to 1000 rpm and the rev limit switch blinks five times. I can start the motor after that and it runs great, but is not charging the battery. Using an ohm meter I have checked the recitifier and it conducts one way and not the other, and my stator does not appear to be opened or have a ground. Battery cables are tight and battery is few months old. Battery has 12.6 v before starting and 12.5 at idle or at 1500 rpm. I do not have a DVA meter.

i will appreciate any ideas!

Clockie911

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DF 70 not charging battery

Can anyone tell me what the tach rev fault is telling me, and how to correct or reset it?
Also is the tach fault code problem related to the motor not charging the battery?

vrodrig

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clockie I had a similar problem with charging and I pulled off the rectifier to test it, when I reinstalled it It started getting the 14.5 at the battery. Problem was that the rectifier had a bad ground that prevented the battery from being charged, rectifier/regulater need to be grounded. Check ground wire and engine block for corrosion and clean off. This is what the book had suggested from the begining. I have a 99 Suzi Df70. Good luck!

Clockie911

Cadet

I replaced the rectifier and problem resolved. Thanks to those who helped!

Tao

Cadet

as for the rpm needle and flashing you get before you start the engine, it rather looks like an engine hours code than a failure code.

I thought that system stopped at 2040 hours.

But according to the pattern, yours seem to say 2600 hours (5 flash = 2500 ; needle at 1000rpm says 100 hours)

Clockie911

Cadet

Thanks. The boat has an hour meter on it and only has 150 hours on it and was purchased new. It is running and charging fine so I guess I will just ignore the initial message on the tach.
Thanks for the post!