2010 Yamaha 150 Four Stroke surges on start- poor idle control

RussellL

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 2010 Yamaha 150 Four stroke that is surging dramatically when it first starts. When I use the neutral throttle to bring the idle up it will die if it is brought up slowly. If I can get it up far enough without dying it will suddenly surge to high rpms. It will finally run at mid throttle after a bit but will surge up and down in rpms. Push the neutral throttle down so I can put it in gear and it will sometimes die getting into gear. Once I get into gear without dying I have to jump the throttle up some to get underway without the engine dying. Once it gets moving it will usually settle down and run ok but going down to full idle so it can be shifted into reverse will sometimes kill it.

This engine was a year old when we bought it last year and we've had it a year now. It has 55 hours total on it now. Last year it ran perfectly but this year when we got it out the first time it ran fine at first but had a very slight hesitation pulling away from the dock the first time. After riding around pulling a tube for a while we shut it off to retrieve a swimmer and it wouldn't crank. The neutral switch seemed to have gone bad. Finally got the engine started by jumping the starter solenoid and it ran fine until we got to the dock. We took it to the repair place and they fixed the neutral safety switch and then this problem with the engine surging and not idling appeared.

Our repair shop is saying that they think the injectors may be dirty and wants to pull them out and send them off for cleaning, but I'm not convinced. Once it is running it runs fine and has plenty of power. Feels more like a sensor issue. Maybe a throttle position sensor? I am somewhat familiar with auto engines but not these outboards. The fact that this started after the neutral safety went bad seems too much of a coincidence to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I should be looking?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2010 Yamaha 150 Four Stroke surges on start- poor idle control

look for a shop that has a Yamaha master tech, he will be able to troubleshoot it properly,
Hooked up to a computer will give a lot of info even it it is not trowing codes

RussellL

Recruit
Re: 2010 Yamaha 150 Four Stroke surges on start- poor idle control

look for a shop that has a Yamaha master tech, he will be able to troubleshoot it properly,
Hooked up to a computer will give a lot of info even it it is not trowing codes

My shop did mention that there were no codes being recorded by the computer.

Is there a way to tell what shops have master techs? I looked at the dealer locator and my shop has "Factory Trained" listed under the service certifications column. I don't find any other shops that list anything more. Does this mean my shop has a master tech?

Do my symptoms sound like they could be caused by dirty injectors?