1998 Yamaha 4 stro 15HP runs rough at high speeds

juanton27

Recruit
Hey Y'all,

I have a 1998 15 HP 4-stroke outboard engine that has been a bit touch and go lately.

At the start of the season it was tough to start (needing 5-10 pulls and sometimes waiting in between for 5 minutes).
Once it was started it ran pretty reliably. Only a few times did it choke out and die, but came back to full working order with one pull.

A few weeks ago on Saturday I ran it for 6 hours straight in the morning with no kills or issues, but the following morning I took it out and it would only run with the choke out (carburetor, or so I thought).

I took the carburetor apart today down to nothing. All jets were out, fully off the engine, sprayed with cleaner, blew out with air. I put it back together and started like a charm. Ran great at idle and low throttle, but when I revved it up to above 50% throttle it would chug and jerk like it couldn't push any more.

At the start of the season it went through a full upper and lower unit tune up (plugs, oil, lower unit oil, fuel filter, etc.) and I have checked both plugs for spark. They seem fine.

Is it compression?
Do I need a professional to clean the carb?
Is the needle/float adjustable in this particular carb? (it doesn't look like it to me)

Trying to get the old girl back to 100%.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 Yamaha 4 stro 15HP runs rough at high speeds

Might check to make sure fuel pump and supply system is furnishing enough fuel (Pressure/vacuum test) and if all is good then clean carbs better and adjust like the service manual states