2006 yamaha F150 starter problems....

Gilby4294

Recruit
Driving me nut's.. I can start the boat normaly most of the time... but this thing has stranded me out in the water too many times. I can start it any time drive it, shut it down, when I go to start it, it acts like the battery is dead or low, hardly turns over, then nothing. I cannot get it to go. Get pulled in and set it by the dock. A little bit later I try it and it starts right up no problem. When it wont start I have tried to jump it, or even put in a known good battery and nothing... same problem. Any help???

Gilby4294

Recruit
Re: 2006 yamaha F150 starter problems....

More info... this last weekend was the first time this year it has happened, happens every year since new... have taken it into dealer when it was under warranty but as stated hard to fix it when it's not broke... works fine most of the time.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

bad connection on battery cables or relay is my thoughts if jumping battery does not help

or motor is binding/locking up due to piston seizing or maybe lower unit locking up, but it would have failed completely by now if it has been doing this for years

AURanger07

Cadet

I would clean all connections to the battery and the starter. This happened to a buddy of mine's boat and had us stranded during a tournament. After getting to the dock and being disqualified for being late it fired right up :/ I would also check for any shortage in the wire, maybe a cut in the insulation. Have you tried jumping across the starter with a peice of wire? That could tell you if it is a bad relay

Av8ter

Recruit
Everyone cleans the battery terminals and wire connections. The problem is almost always a bad ground at the engine. It's easy to be misled as most of the time the engine compartment can look pristine. The problem is the corrosion due to dissimilar metals. Find the main (negative) battery terminal and remove the bolt holding it in place, use a wire brush (dremel tool best) to clean the area around the block at the attachment point and clean the wire lead. Replace bolt, tighten, and spray with a corrosion control substance. If you are still having issues, (which I doubt) bypass the starter relay, if that doesn't work by pass the solenoid.

All this is assuming the batteries are good

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Everyone cleans the battery terminals and wire connections. The problem is almost always a bad ground at the engine. It's easy to be misled as most of the time the engine compartment can look pristine. The problem is the corrosion due to dissimilar metals. Find the main (negative) battery terminal and remove the bolt holding it in place, use a wire brush (dremel tool best) to clean the area around the block at the attachment point and clean the wire lead. Replace bolt, tighten, and spray with a corrosion control substance. If you are still having issues, (which I doubt) bypass the starter relay, if that doesn't work by pass the solenoid.

All this is assuming the batteries are good

Av8ter - We know you're trying to help, but this thread is over 3 years old and none of the posters visit any more. Please look at the Help Tip on top of the page. Thanks.